Sunday, August 12, 2007

Uniformity with God's Will

Sit nomen Domini benedictum ex hoc nunc et usque in saeculum- Psalm 112:2

Today's the 11th Sunday after Pentecost. And Fr.'s sermon was on the Thy will be done part of the Pater noster. It reminds me again, of one of my favourite works of dear Saint Alphonsus Ligouri on Uniformity With God's Will. Here's a link to something that I posted a year ago, also from this same book, that sincerely melted this hard heart of mine :)



------------- (excerpt from the abovementioned link)



This is taken from page 13 of St. Alphonsus Ligouri's book, Uniformity with God's Will, translated from the Italian of the Saint, by Thomas W. Tobin, C.S.S.R.


The devout Father John Tauler relates this personal experience: For years he had prayed God to send him someone who would teach him the real spiritual life. One day, at prayer, he heard a voice saying: "Go to such and such a church and you will have the answer to your prayers." He went and at the door of the church he found a beggar, barefooted and in rags. He greeted the mendicant saying:



"Good day, my friend."



"Thank you, sir, for your kind wishes, but I do not recall ever having had a 'bad' day."



"Then God has certainly given you a very happy life."



"That is very true, sir. I have never been unhappy. In saying this I am not making any rash statement either. This is the reason: When I have nothing to eat, I give thanks to God; when it rains or snows, I bless God's providence; when someone insults me, drives me away, or otherwise mistreats me, I give glory to God. I said I've never had an unhappy day, and it's the truth, because I am accustomed to will unreservedly what God wills. Whatever happens to me, sweet or bitter, I gladly receive from his hands as what is best for me. Hence my unvarying happiness."



"Where did you find God?"



"I found him where I left creatures."



"Who are you anyway?"



"I am a king."



"And where is your kingdom?"



"In my soul, where everything is in good order; where the passions obey reason, and reason obeys God."



"How have you come to such a state of perfection?"



"By silence. I practice silence towards men, while I cultivate the habit of speaking with God. Conversing with God is the way I found and maintain my peace of soul."



Union with God brought this poor beggar to the very heights of perfection. In his poverty he was richer than the mightiest monarch; in his sufferings, he was vastly happier than worldlings amid their worldly delights.
---



This IS the answer to true happiness!



A good priest (God Bless His Soul!) told this to me once, (or to this extend the way I remember it) in order to hear/listen to God, and let God enter into your soul, you need to be rid of worldly affections, rid of things that will cause God to be separated from you .. (etc)



Reading that particular page from St. Alphonsus's book and remembering what the good priest told me, I was compelled to put this up.



------------- (end of excerpt from that post a year ago) :)

"Perfection is founded entirely on the love of God: "Charity is the bond of perfection;" and perfect love of God means the complete union of our will with God's."


- Saint Alphonsus Maria de Ligouri

The Proper of the Mass today says so much, so beautifully ...

From the Collect of today's Holy Mass:

Almighty and everlasting God, Who in the abundance of Thy kindness art wont to go beyond our merits and our prayers: pour down Thy mercy on us: forgive us aught whereof our conscience is afraid, and grant us all we dare not ask in prayer. Through Christ our Lord.

The last part of the Epistle of today's Holy Mass (I Cor. 15:10):

But by the grace of God I am what I am; and His grace in me hath not been void.
Gratia autem Dei sum id, quod sum, et gratia ejus in me vacua non fuit.

From the Gradual of today's Holy Mass (Ps. 27:7,1):

In God hath my heart confided, and I have been helped; and my flesh hat flourished again; and with my will I will give praise to Him. Unto Thee have I cried, O Lord: O my God, be not Thou silent: depart not from me.

From the Communion of today's Holy Mass (Prov. 3:9,10):

Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the first of all thy fruits: and thy barns shall be filled with abundance, and thy presses shall run over with wine.

Deus propitius esto mihi peccatori!

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee; Save Souls!

Jesu mitis et humilis corde, Fac cor nostrum secundum Cor tuum. (ter)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home