Thursday, August 02, 2007

Sancta Alphonsum Mariam Ligouri

The Signature of St. Alphonsus Maria de Ligouri:




Today's the Feast of Saint Alphonsus Maria de Ligouri, Doctor of the Church!! One of my favourite saints, and I do really think he is one of the best spiritual writers I've ever read! As a quick search on my blog will show. His Uniformity with the Will of God, Glories of Mary, The Passion and Death of Jesus Christ, The Holy Eucharist, Victories of Martyrs etc. etc. a whole long list of his ascetical works - so lovingly written with a depth so infinitely beautiful ... has helped me a lot, a lot! And I cannot but Thank God and Mother Mary for one of the greatest Saints of the Church. :) Deo gratias et Mariae!


From the Collect at Mass today:

O God, Who didst kindle in blessed Alphonsus Mary, Thy Confessor and Bishop, burning zeal for the salvation of souls, and through him didst enrich Thy Church with a new offspring: grant, we beseech Thee, that imbued with his saving doctrine and strengthened by his example, we may be able happily to come to Thee. Through our Lord.

An example of one of his beautiful writings:



Affections of Love towards the Heart of Jesus

This was written by St. Alphonsus, but remained unpublished till 1875.


O amiable Heart of my Saviour! Thou art the seat of all virtues, the source of all graces, the burning furnace in which are inflamed all holy souls. Thou art the object of all God’s love; thou art the refuge of the afflicted, and the abode of the souls that love thee, O Heart worthy of reigning over all hearts, and of possessing the affection of all hearts! O Heart that was wounded for me on the Cross by the lance of my sins, and that remained afterwards continually wounded for me on the altar in the Blessed Sacrament, but not by any other lance than that of the love that thou entertainest for me! O loving Heart, that loves men with so much tenderness, and that is so little loved by men! Do thou apply a remedy to so great an ingratitude, inflame thou our hearts with a true love for thee. Ah! Why can I not go all over the world to make known the graces, the sweetness, the treasures that thou dispensest to those who truly love Thee? Accept the desire that I have of seeing all hearts burning with love for thee. O Divine Heart! Be Thou my consolation in trials, my repose in labours, my solace in anxieties, my haven in tempests. I consecrate Thee my body and my soul, my heart and my life, together with all that I am. I unite to Thine all my thoughts, all my affections, all my desires. O Eternal Father! I offer Thee the pure affections of the Heart of Jesus. If Thou dost reject mine, Thou canst not reject those of Thy Son, who is sanctity itself; may they supply what is wanting in me, and may they render me pleasing in Thy eyes!








And his love for the Blessed Virgin Mary, so - ever true, fervent and beautiful!


Here's a prayer from his book, The Holy Eucharist:


A Visit to the Blessed Virgin


(Read the visit of the day, and finish by the following prayer, thereby to obtain the most powerful patronage of Mary:)


Most holy Immaculate Virgin and my Mother Mary, to thee who art the Mother of my Lord, the Queen of the world, the advocate, the hope, the refuge of sinners, I have recourse to-day,-I, who am the most miserable of all. I render thee my most humble homages, O Great Queen, and I thank thee for all the graces thou hast conferred on me until now, particularly for having delivered me from hell, which I have so often deserved. I love thee, O most amiable Lady; and for the love which I bear thee, I promise to serve thee always, and to do all in my power to make others love thee also. I place in thee all my hopes; I confide my salvation to thy care. Accept me for thy servant, and receive me under thy mantle, O Mother of mercy. And since thou art so powerful with God, deliver me from all temptations, or rather obtain me the strength to triumph over them until death. Of thee I ask a perfect love for Jesus Christ. From thee I hope to die a good death. O my Mother, by the love which thou bearest to God, I beseech thee to help me at all times, but especially at the last moment of my life. Leave me not, I beseech thee, until thou seest me safe in heaven, blessing thee, and singing thy mercies for all eternity. Amen. So I hope. So may it be.


Mary, my mother, my hope, my refuge, to thee I recommend myself; to thee I consign my soul: pray to Jesus for me.


Read here, a very beautiful spiritual reading by St. Alphonsus Ligouri on Death. Whence death alone is our only certainty. Memento Mori!

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee; Save Souls!

Jesu mitis et humilis corde, Fac cor nostrum secundum Cor tuum. (ter)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home