Thursday, May 18, 2006

Critical Update Week 2 =) +J.M.J.A.

to all mums: Happy belated Mother's Day
And so, time flies .. it has been 2 weeks since I've started with the long break and hey I've been actually enjoying it. There were a few lazy days where I did nothing absolutely - except catch up on sleep, and there has been, I gladly proclaim, many non-lazy days during which I accomplished things that I've been dreaming of doing during term time. haha, you may wonder what these things are: by any standards, they are quite mundane, not those exciting things many want to do .. e.g.(there are many more these are just some of the most interesting ones for me) saying my prayers with no distraction (and the ability to go for mass when I want to, not according to my time-table), playing the piano for a few hours, sitting in front of my laptop and typing away, reading with no interuption from my conscience (hey there's no school work to finish now =) and yes! latin is now the only thing troubling my brain), the ability to help out around the house and iron and fold and iron and fold and hang and hang and COOk! (trying out new pasta recipes - esp the most recent, tuna pasta), the vast amount of time to go out and catch up with a few friends whom I haven't seen in ages, spending more time with my family and haha, angeline and kenneth (2 good friends of my sis and me), spending my time in the day - day-dreaming: dreaming can be quite therapeutic -> haha, not always good, but good when you think of a certain smiling person(my captain von trapp) ... =) hahahaha... don't try guessing who: it's no one you know.
-------
Anyway, I so wish that I spent my break before uni started just like how I spend my break now. That time, I tell you, I spent it like a lazy rat .. living up to such a silly nickname and wasting so much time I detest! Well I hope I won't be so lazy this time round .. actually I won't =) thanks to a nicely packed schedule this time around and of course - your own brain is a constant reminder, you need to constantly remind yourself! =) God is good... Yay! Deo gratias!
-------
Thanks to the long hours spent in front of the piano, we are now exploring new pieces with gusto! aunty mag has lent me her In a Persian Market by Albert W. Ketelbey - a 20th century composer. By and by, he really is a very imaginative composer, I've heard his In a Chinese Temple and together with his In a Persian Market, they are really really very good (not just only quite good) I can't add music to this page so I'm leaving you with a synopsis of the In a Persian Market according to dear old Ketelbey, hopefully, you'd be able to grab a recording of this piece and hear it for yourself, I love the part when the beautiful princess approaches the market place (however this part of the music just makes me think of a certain smiling person, my captain von trapp .. =)) and when the snake charmer arrives ... :
This synopsis was taken from the score:
The camel-drivers gradually approach the market; the cries of the beggars for "Back-sheesh" are heard amid the bustle. The beautiful princess enters carried by her servants, (she is represented by a languorous theme (in my opinion a very famous theme), given at first to clarinet and cello, then repeated by full orchestra) - she stays to watch the jugglers and snake-charmer. The Caliph now passes through the market and interrupts the entertainment, the beggars are heard again, the princess prepares to depart and the caravan resumes its journey; the themes of the princess and the camel-drivers are heard faintly in the distance and the market-place becomes deserted ...
-------
Ketelbey certainly gives me some inspiration and is a refreshing breather to more mature pieces like that of Beethoven. =) But not to worry, Beethoven you are still my favourite =) I now love especially your sonata in F minor, op.2 no.1, part 4, the prestissimo part (first movement form) where you moved away from being mozartian to creating your own form! (in my opinion) - to all who don't know what I'm talking about, Beethoven was a Classical-Romanticist, as in his early style accomodated more classical characteristics like that of his predecessor, Mozart, but he started developing his own form and style as time progressed and as many things happened to him in his life - esp. that of him growing deaf and of course the custody battle for his nephew - Beethoven never got married, leading him to be a Romanticist! His Mass in B minor also seriously tantalizing for the soul - my most mature, favourite composer!! =) yay! =)
-------
Now, I can't wait for Friday to come. =)
I will leave you with this paragraph by St. Thomas Aquinas:
If God loves us so, if He is so provident a Father, why does He let us commit sin? The answer is that He is God, reverently respectful of His children, and He has made us men. Why, since He knows from eternity which of us will lose our souls, did He make us at all? The question is a coward's complaint against his humanity and the share of divinity given to men. If we are to have a chance at heaven, we must run the risk of hell; no men is in hell who did not have time after time, the chance of taking heaven in his grasp. Heaven is worth the risk of hell; God is worth the risk of the devil. It is dangerous to be a man lifted up to the heights of God; dangerous, but a danger well justified by the goals that are open to us. The shared power of God that is ours does not destroy His omnipotence, nor does His eternal knowledge destroy our freedom: we are men and He is God, and we can live that divine life with Him forever, if we will, or we can start our hell on earth and preserve it for all of an eternity.
This thought-provoking counsel is certainly very apt for all of us here in this modernistic world full of ideals and principles that are not of God, but of the prince of this world - none other than Satan. God help us in our pursuit of that happiness with You in eternity!
Here's an excerpt from the bible:
< prev Chapter 12 next >

The anointing of Christ's feet. His riding into Jerusalem upon an ass. A voice from heaven.

1 Jesus therefore, six days before the pasch, came to Bethania, where Lazarus had been dead, whom Jesus raised to life. 2 And they made him a supper there: and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that were at table with him. 3 Mary therefore took a pound of ointment of right spikenard, of great price, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair; and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment. 4 Then one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, he that was about to betray him, said: 5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?

6 Now he said this, not because he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and having the purse, carried the things that were put therein. 7 Jesus therefore said: Let her alone, that she may keep it against the day of my burial. 8 For the poor you have always with you; but me you have not always. 9 A great multitude therefore of the Jews knew that he was there; and they came, not for Jesus' sake only, but that they might see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. 10 But the chief priests thought to kill Lazarus also:

8 "Me you have not always"... Viz., in a visible manner, as when conversant here on earth; and as we have the poor, whom we may daily assist and relieve.

11 Because many of the Jews, by reason of him, went away, and believed in Jesus. 12 And on the next day, a great multitude that was to come to the festival day, when they had heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, 13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried: Hosanna, blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord, the king of Israel. 14 And Jesus found a young ass, and sat upon it, as it is written: 15 Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy king cometh, sitting on an ass's colt.

16 These things his disciples did not know at the first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things to him. 17 The multitude therefore gave testimony, which was with him, when he called Lazarus out of the grave, and raised him from the dead. 18 For which reason also the people came to meet him, because they heard that he had done this miracle. 19 The Pharisees therefore said among themselves: Do you see that we prevail nothing? behold, the whole world is gone after him. 20 Now there were certain Gentiles among them, who came up to adore on the festival day.
21 These therefore came to Philip, who was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying: Sir, we would see Jesus. 22 Philip cometh, and telleth Andrew. Again Andrew and Philip told Jesus. 23 But Jesus answered them, saying: The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. 24 Amen, amen I say to you, unless the grain of wheat falling into the ground die, 25 Itself remaineth alone. But if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world, keepeth it unto life eternal.

26 If any man minister to me, let him follow me; and where I am, there also shall my minister be. If any man minister to me, him will my Father honour. 27 Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour. But for this cause I came unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify thy name. A voice therefore came from heaven: I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The multitude therefore that stood and heard, said that it thundered. Others said: An angel spoke to him. 30 Jesus answered, and said: This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.

31 Now is the judgment of the world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all things to myself. 33 (Now this he said, signifying what death he should die.) 34 The multitude answered him: We have heard out of the law, that Christ abideth for ever; and how sayest thou: The Son of man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of man? 35 Jesus therefore said to them: Yet a little while, the light is among you. Walk whilst you have the light, that the darkness overtake you not. And he that walketh in darkness, knoweth not whither he goeth.

36 Whilst you have the light, believe in the light, that you may be the children of light. These things Jesus spoke; and he went away, and hid himself from them. 37 And whereas he had done so many miracles before them, they believed not in him: 38 That the saying of Isaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he said: Lord, who hath believed our hearing? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? 39 Therefore they could not believe, because Isaias said again: 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart, that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

39 "They could not believe"... Because they would not, saith St. Augustine, Tract. 33, in Joan. See the annotation, St. Mark 4. 12.

41 These things said Isaias, when he saw his glory, and spoke of him. 42 However, many of the chief men also believed in him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, that they might not be cast out of the synagogue. 43 For they loved the glory of men more than the glory of God. 44 But Jesus cried, and said: He that believeth in me, doth not believe in me, but in him that sent me. 45 And he that seeth me, seeth him that sent me.

46 I am come a light into the world; that whosoever believeth in me, may not remain in darkness. 47 And if any man hear my words, and keep them not, I do not judge him: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He that despiseth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him; the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. 49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father who sent me, he gave me commandment what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting. The things therefore that I speak, even as the Father said unto me, so do I speak.
-------

This picture of the holy sacrifice of the Mass I like because it so says so much of the most holy sacrifice of the Mass, the mass that brought forth so many saints and martyrs! the mass that Jesus gave us for our soul!

-------

PAX

In Christo et Maria!

till the next time then

rachanne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home